||FIRMAN COMMUNITY SERVICES
DIVISION: CHILDREN SERVICES
PROGRAM: EARLY CHILDHOOD LEARNING CENTER EAST/WEST/SOUTH
JOB TITLE: TEACHER ASSISTANT
REPORTS TO: TEACHER
Responsible for the education and general development of children in a Head Start or Child Care Program for pre-school and school age children. Conducts special educational activities requiring skill and specific training in working with children in an age appropriate manner.
- Assists teacher in preparing lesson plans outlining learning experiences and activities.
- Assists in planning field trips.
- Reinforces teacher’s introduction of color, shape, and texture concepts.
- Assists in leading “Show and Tell.”
- Assists in the supervision of classrooms at all times.
- Assists in supervising other classroom personnel as needed.
- Assists in the supervision of one group of children engaged in a specific activity.
- Assists and participates with children during free play activities.
- Shares responsibility for cleaning up after all classroom activities.
- Sets up the room for activities both in the morning and after naptime.
- Assists in responsibility for ordering supplies needed for the program via established protocol.
- Maintains attendance records.
- Keeps records on the growth and behavior of a group of children.
- Assists teacher in monthly evaluation of children and program.
- Makes home visits with teacher to recruit children as required.
- Assists teacher in preparing parents for classroom observation.
- Attends parent meetings.
- Attends in-service training program – Internal and External Staff Development activities.
Performs other related childcare duties in concert with supervisor as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent; Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education strongly preferred.
- At least six credit hours in early childhood development courses.
- Must demonstrate cultural competence and responsiveness to population being served.
- Must have good communication skills, oral and written.
- Simple arithmetic skills are required.